Tuesday, August 5, 2008

At the Airport

Well, my room mate just boarded her flight to San Fransico and I am left here at the airport to wait for 4 hours. It was a blessing to be able to travel through the airport with her. We were helped while waiting to check-in our luggage, we only waited in line for a couple minutes! After luggage we flew through immigration. At security I was reprimanded because I had a drink in my bag. (My other room mates had given it to me as a gift right before I left and I forgot about it! I'm kinda bumed that I wasn't able to drink it . . .) After that we made it to the gates. Having an hour before her flight left we were planning on eating a lunch together (since my flight is/was at 3 pm). Yet after walking through the airport we came to the conclusion that there is hardly any food in this terminal. Only a Chinese fast food place (and we both were not in the mood for Chinese food right now, we both love it – but right now we are craving some American sandwiches or something . . .l) So we finally gave up and sat at her gate. I ate a cliff bar – one more time I have been thankful that I brought them to China with me. It is now 11:20 and she has just boarded her flight. They havn't announced my gate yet so I am writing my blog. Even though you won't be able to read it till I am home.

My last weekend in China was amazing. On Sunday we went to Church then a Thai restaurant. I had never been to a Thai restaurant before, but it was great. We actually had a lot of trouble trying to find the restaurant. We were told it was only a block away, but we couldn't seem to find it. We finally asked a store worker. He ended up walking around with us for 5 minutes until he found the restaurant! People here are so nice! After that we went shopping again. While shopping my friends and I got manicures/pedicures. They look great, perfect for coming back to America! It was about 7$ -kinda pricy. When we got back to our village I ate at the Noodle place one more time. They have great food and we eat outside and they make it as you order it. Its a small family owned shack/business. I love it, and a dinner is only 3-7 yuan (fifty cents to a dollar). I then walked to the middle of the village for one last time and got a few last minute items. After that the fun really began. First I went to this small hair place in my apartment building owned by a woman who has been helped by New Day. I didn't even know about her shop until one week ago. Well, I was told I had to go there and get a dry wash. Not knowing what that was – I agreed. We went there and it was well worth the 20 yuan. She puts shampoo in your (dry) hair and then massages your head for 20 minutes! She then massages your neck and shoulders for a little while. At this point she said I was done. We weren't quite sure if that meant I was supposed to leave with soap in my hair or what . . I mean its called a “Dry” wash. . . She then motioned me over to a sink and rinsed out my soap. That was a great 20 minutes I have to say. After that we did my favorite thing.

Do you know what my favorite thing is? The courtyard!! We brought out 3 new foreigners with us and again began to dance. One of the guys with us had been to Kenya previously and had an awesome dance they did a little of. It looks really cool and is easy to get so he taught us. This (just like everything else) drew a crowd. Eventually the amazing man dancer who taught us the Chinese dances came over. He motioned that he wanted to learn our dance! So we taught him and a few others an African Foot dance. How cool!! He then taught us some more about his dance. I think he enjoys the attention us foreigners give him . . .lol. . . At this point I began to people watch. All the kids there use ripsticks (and some adults). My friend really wanted to try it, so we asked Ricky, our Chinese friend, to ask a kid if they would teach us, or at least let us try. They did!! The kids loved letting us practice. And they were surprisingly great teachers. We couldn't talk but they would give us so much encouragement and hold our hands that we just had to succeed. And we did! I finally learned how to ripstick in China (My brother has one, but I could never do it before). We also drew a crowd with that. Just imagine . . .Me trying to balance on a ripstick ( a board on just two small wheels) holding for dear life to a small 8 yr only Chinese kid as they motion and encourage us in China. Oh yea, we were also shouting a little cause it is pretty busy down there and even if we did get moving we couldn't really steer . . . .It was so much fun. I'm gonna miss those kids in the courtyard. I wonder if they will remember their American friend who they taught to ripstick – I think some of them will.

Love,
Kelli Lynn

No comments: