Saturday, July 12, 2008

American Cookies and Karaoke. . .

Today in class we baked Chocolate Chip Cookies! We had alot of fun explaining how to cook the American way. Apparently they don't use measuring cups because they had no idea what they were. I spose they just know to add a little of this and alittle of that. . . The students were all very excited to try something new and something we all obviously loved. And most of them ate at least two! However, they almost all ageed that they were Too sweet! I guess that goes to show why there are hardly any overweight Chinese people. . . I must admit - I thought they were just right. Most of them had never even seen chocolate chips before - they kept thinking they were like potato chips or something.
Friday night was a night out on the town! My roommates and I went out with a bunch of students and let them plan the night. They took us to this huge restaurant and of course we always have them order for us . . . so they try to be nice to us, but always order something exotic – this time it was Cow Tongue – No thank you!! Only two of my room mates dared to try that. My one especially daring roommate has eaten chicken heart, chicken bone, sheep tendon, goose and duck egg, pig lungs . . . me? I have eaten duck. :) Anyways, after we ate we went through a back door into a whole another huge dining area (we had eaten in our own private room WITH a bathroom!) This dining area looked like something out of Las Vegas, it even had a show going on. It was way super cool! There were traditional dancers, Kung Fu fighters (I had to ask what they were doing, it looked like a bunch of boys jumping around play fighting . . .)After we watched a show for a while, we went to KTV – otherwise known as Karaoke!
Now when they said we were going Karaoking (?) i was imagining a Karaoke Bar ( not that i have ever been karaoking, but from the movies). Instead we arrived at a 5 story Karaokee hotelish thing - and i guess this was a bad KTV! We bought two hours and received one free hour and a bottle of wine. (there is no age limit to drinking in China). Then we were escorted up to the third floor (and all the workers were saying good morning to us - even though it was 9pm - lol). We were led to a private room with a huge couch, Big screen TV, two microphones and a karaokee machine. We had also smuggled in all kinds of snacks and drinks. We had a great time, we alternated one Chinese song to one English song. And of course we played th most outrageous songs like Britany Spears and Backstreet Boys. Three days later the students are still talking about how they had never seen Americans so crazy before! (Personally, I think the Canadian roommate of ours was the craziest dancer - but whatever). I'll try to post some pictures soon - It's just hard cause the internet connections are so slow here. And the price for this crazy cool Karaoke experience? Less than 5 bucks. It's fun being an American in China.


Love your Karaoke Singer,
Kelli Lynn

No comments: