Just finished my Chinese lessons - there were four of us today and we meet MWF during our lunch break. She is teaching us Pin Yin, which is the written form of Chinese - not the characters. We have so much fun learning the language! Its a difficult task because the language is so different. My favorite times are when we try to pronunce a sound that we don't have in the English language. The teacher just kinda looks at us and laughs. I especially seem to have trouble saying certain sounds, but I have trouble saying English words half the time - so no worries. It's only a problem when I am laughing too much to say anything. And during the night we try to use our new Chinese words with the students. So we try to use what little Chinese we know and they learn more English words! I judged an English Speech Competition the other night for the upper two levels - the students in class 3 spoke better than class 4 because most of them have been studying here. The students in class 4 know more words - but they are harder to understand. I think that the level of English students learn here is a great testament to its purpose and their desire to touch the lives of their students.
Today in class we made no-bake cookies. We were teaching about culture and . . honestly, we all just like to make American desserts. I'm thinking about making PuppyChow next week . . .We'll see if I can find all the ingredients. I also thought about making PB&J sandwiches because they don't have peanut butter here - we can only get it in the American style grocery stores in the city. I'm getting more comfortable teaching the students, and lesson planning is going faster - thankfully. Planning takes just as long or longer than the actual teaching! Part of the reason why is because we do not have a book or anything to follow for this summer session so we have to create and think of everything. That's alot of work for anyone - especially me trying to do it for my first time! But, its a great learning experience - Student Teaching in the Fall is going to be alot easier after this!! It is also taking me awhile to get used to teaching adults. Most of my students are University Students but others are graduates in their 20's and 30's. One is even a bone doctor - on the weekends he works and during the week he studies under me! (how strange to have this much authority). In the class below mine we also have a very famous lawyer - and they are both so funny and eager to study! All the students also LOVE to play UNO! It's not something they can get here, so we use it as a treat during class or at evening activities. I used it today because they have been doing so well in class. I think I may be an easy teacher . . . But they are working so hard all week - learning so many English words and talking in English from 8-8 that I think they deserve a little more fun American Culture, and they are still talking in English . . . :)
Well, I'm off to plan some more lessons!
Have fun in America!
Kelli
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment