Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tex-Mex and Starbucks

Today at Church we had a band from Brazil lead some worship songs-they were very good. I was talking to one of the members afterwards and he said that he thinks they played in DeKalb just before they came to China! It was at a University near Chicago, but his English wasn't the best and he didn't remember the town name. But its still cool that he played somewhere near my hometown at least. I love meeting people who have traveled all over the world. Everyone has such interesting stories, and now I have a story too - and mine is just beginning. My traveling story that is, my life story has been growing for 21 years. I hope you realize that you have a story too. And it doesn't have to involve traveling the world, our stories involve everything we do - all the ways we are able to touch people. Our story is the best when we follow the path our Father set for us - and that is the real challenge and purpose in life.
After church we ate at Peter's TexMex. It was so cute, it was decorated to look like a southern old-time shop. I had 3 chicken tacos - they weren't the best . . . but they did taste a little bit like home. (and no, i'm not sick of Chinese food, I love it!) After our Texan Meal we stopped at Starbucks!!! Stepping into the shop made me feel like I was stepping into America. I was going to take a picture - but it looked exactly like the ones in America so I didn't bother. We stayed for half an hour just talking. If I were to live in China, I would make sure to do that every so often, it feels like home.
Tonight we are going over to a American Couples home - they invited the interns over for Ice Cream Sundae's and to learn some traditional Chinese Games! It will definitely be a fun, relaxing evening.
I have officially passed my half-way mark of staying in China. It is a bittersweet time. The people I have met here will forever stay in my memory - and for most of them, that is all I will ever have to remember them by. They live all over the world - and I can only hope that maybe, somewhere, our paths may cross again. This has been an experience that I will never forget. I hope that you can take something from it too, I hope that you have learned a little more about China - a place filled with beautiful people. Man, I sound like I am leaving tomorrow! Its just that already some people I have met are leaving and the countdown has begun for others and I know that mine is just around the corner as well. I plan to live my days here with as much energy as I can - and when I get back to America I may sleep for a few days, then its time to start school. But such is life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love,
Your local Chinese reporter,
Kelli Lynn

4 comments:

snow4jc said...

Guess who's in charge of cooking when you get back??? LOL We LOVE chinese food, too. Love, MOM

ps. that is a great story, Kel. I love every one of them (I'm a little biased, though)

Berta said...

Hey Kelli,
I am so glad you are having such a great time! I love reading your updates. You really have a gift for writing.
I am so proud of you! You go girl! Love you bunches!~Aunt Berta

Anonymous said...

Easy on the creamer or you will be busy cutting weight when you get home. Sounds like you are having a great time. You might have to give us a program at Rangers some wednesday night.

Dan Monaghan

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelli~Belli~
I have been thinking of you and pray for you often! Stay away from the chicken feet! lol Love you much, Aunt Becca