Saturday, July 19, 2008

Real Life Frogger

Did you ever play that computer game called “Frogger”? It was a game where you played a frog trying to cross traffic – and hope you didn't get squashed. Well, I have decided that using Chinese roads is like playing real-life Frogger – with your life at stake. I actually know of one person who was hit by a bus, and I've only been here 3 weeks. The only rule to drive in China is try not hit anything. The roads are covered with all sorts of vehicles, motor and nonmotor, with all number of wheels (2,3,4 or more) and then there are the people who are everywhere, because there are so many people here. I'm amazed at how well people can maneuver the roads here. And then when we are actually on the buses ( i traveled the public transportation system again) When we Americans are on the buses we look like wobble people (like a wobble head – but are whole bodies) we are stuffed like sardines, touching people in way more places than i ever wanted to and falling into people at every stop. The locals however, ride the bus with surprising ease and very rarely resemble a wobbleperson.

We went shopping today and I spent 400 quay on various gifts, at first I couldn't believe how much I spent. But then I calculated that to be around 50 dollars and I couldn't believe what I got for only that much money! Last night we watched “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” with the students – i think they got most of the humor and appreciated the culture differences.

We just got news that one of the little babies in the foster homes might not be coming home from the hospital. She had a very serious heart problem and the doctors didn't think she would make it through the surgery, but she did. And now, two days later, they don't think she will make it through the night. . . All the children in the foster home have serious problems and/or deformities and New Day is able to pay for their surgeries and keep them until they are adopted. But, the risk with that is that sometimes, the children can not overcome their previous conditions.
***Baby Lui Yi did not make it through the night. She passed around 9pm July 19,2008.****

Off to cook some Chinese Ramon Noodles for dinner with some Friends,
Love, Kelli Lynn

No comments: