Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chinese Laundry Days

Today was a Laundry Day - I mentioned earlier that we bring our clothes to New Day because our wash machine is difficult to use and we don't have a dryer. Well, what I failed to mention was that the wash machine's here are Chinese wash machines. No big deal, right? A wash machine is a wash machine. Well - their wash machines do not look like any wash machine I've ever seen in America, in fact they have three totally unique Chinese wash machines. . they have the basic shape, but that's about it. One has a lid on the top that folds into itself? And then they all have hundreds (that may be a slight exaggeration) of lights and buttons. I mean, I look it at and feel like it is a mini spaceship. However, knowing that all my roommates have on many occasions successfully washed and dryed their clothes, and not wanted to look like a completely inept American, I push a few buttons and voila - water begins to run. I also am using powdered laundry detergent - this isn't so unusual, except that I have NEVER used powdered detergent. As I look for a detergent holder, I find one removable compartment, but as I pull it out I find it has three separate compartments - I fill up the dirtiest one (by dirty, I mean what appears to be some wet detergent goo). Then I move on to my second machine (these wash machines must be sized X-Small), I can find no container. So I pour in about as much as I put in the first machine - but again, I've never used powdered detergent - I have no idea how much one puts in. As I leave the room, having at least, so far, successfully began washing my clothes - I have flashbacks of one of my first times using a dishwasher. I'm sure my mom and sister vividly remember the kitchen floor being covered with big soapy bubbles. Apparently, as I learned, there is two types of soap for dishes, one for a machine and one for hand washing - the latter seems to make more bubbles. . . . Back to China, now I am not a young child - instead I am a responsible teacher and the thought of coming back to find my clothes washed and the floor covered in bubbles, is not reassuring. I am happy to say, however, that I did successfully wash my clothes - and while I may not be washing them with the right speed or temperature or whatever all those flashing lights mean - they are clean. And so is the floor.

-Just thought I'd update you on some of my daily life problems :)

Love Kelli - who will be wearing clean clothes!

3 comments:

snow4jc said...

Oh my gosh!!! Too funny. As I was reading the start of your recounting the laundry event.... I started to laugh cuz I was remembering the dishwasher incident!! LOL I'm glad you were successfull with your laundry. Another chore in a foreign country conquered!!
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I had a really good laugh. It brings back lots of memories of my various travels!

Way to overcome!

:-)

Jon

Anonymous said...

by the way you wrote your washing machine experience...i really though there would be a laundry room exploding with bubbles...hehe! thanks for sharing your fun adventures..they make me smile : ) see like this : )