Life at New Day is challenging, eventful and never the same. We just got a new roommate today - which brings us back up to 6 girls. Living with six girls in a tiny apartment would be challenging in America, in China - where we only have water sometimes and usually have electricity - it is surprisingly easy. We all get along so well - i have only just met our new roommate, but she seems nice. I think this ease in friendship, the way we have all bonded so fast - comes from our common desire, our common sacrifices, our common vision in seeing the students and children be lifted up. We pray that in some way, our time here is making a difference - even if it is just causing a smile on a stressed face.
Living somewhere like this, the people change so rapidly. Even the "long-term" workers may only stay for a year or two. And sometimes, its not their fault, the Chinese gov't has the final word on how long any of us can stay. I admire the people who have been here for years. They have to meet and say goodbye to so many people. They open their hearts and hands to so many volunteers, and they do a great job - coming here I felt like I was home within a day. And it wasn't just for me, they do this over and over again. I pray that I can open my heart and hands to the people I meet in my life. Living here in China, I am constantly thinking about how my actions are affecting others. I think this is a valuable lesson. We really do affect so many people every day, what kind of lesson/impression are we leaving on them? As I interact with my students, I am always wondering what they are taking away from this. They won't remember all the English words and phrases, what will they remember? In what way can I touch their lives in a way they never forget? In what way have I touched people's lives back home - I hope it was mostly for the better.
I had my first evaluation today! (Well, technically second, but this was the first formal evaluation that I will receive a grade from). Overall, he was very pleased with my teaching skills. He says that I have a strong presence that is vital to being a teacher - I have good interactions with the students, they respect my position but also enjoy relating to me. The things I need to work on are watching my English phrases - My students are all Advanced Beginners (I know that sounds like an oxymoron - but I swear thats their title!) If I use American idioms than I need to remember to explain the meaning. Like today I said "you need to get these words down" I wonder WHAT they were imagining with that phrase - words falling down . .haha . . . I also need to try to simplify my commands. A lot of the suggestions were common to beginning teachers - and its good to be reminded of things I learned to do, but just have forgotten. One thing I do need to work on is setting and enforcing boundaries. My students are well behaved, but I have a few guys that need to participate a little more. He reminded me that God is in the details. Just like our bodies, when the little parts work then the big things work together. I need to enforce the little rules so that big problems don't arise. But to be honest - I'm slightly intimidated about laying down the law . . . I mean half of the students are my age and the other half are older than me. And one of my students is this big shot doctor that drives a nice car - even by American standards. And they are all listening to me! What a humbling experience. It's a wonderful feeling to see them studying my worksheets - I feel like maybe I am helping them learn. Lol - well I can do it, tomorrow I will give them some "encouragement" to participate more. (And then on the night/weekends they take me out to Karaoke and eat/shop - its a odd thing to try and balance my role as their friend and teacher . . .but I enjoy the dynamics of teaching adult students as opposed to 8 year olds.)
Love,
Kelli (Who is NOT gaining weight while in China Dr. Monaghan!) :)
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kelli, you make such a good point...how will our actions affect those around us what will they remember about us many years down the road. I am excited about student teaching and taking classes with you this year!!! We are going to grow soo much as teachers this year!!!
Post a Comment